18 July 2017
10 Basics you should have in your tackle box on your first fishing adventure.
A trip to the Sun Country on the Murray region is a great opportunity to throw a line in for the chance to catch your very own fish of the day. Local rivers and lakes are brimming with fish, with the Murray cod and – in the cooler months – the Murray cray the prize catches.
While long stretches of the Murray and connected waterways offer prime fishing, many anglers are drawn to Lake Mulwala, widely known as a Murray Cod hot spot. Along with the prized Cod, you might also hook a Yellowbelly, Redfin or Silver Perch, among many other native and introduced species.
Here is a list of the nine basics that you should have in your tackle box on your first fishing adventure in Sun Country on the Murray:
Extra Line - Always have a back-up supply of fishing line. It’s almost a guarantee that your fishing line will break at some point on your fishing adventure in Sun Country on the Murray. You may get your line caught on a log, but it may also be that monster Murray Cod from in the depths of the old fishing hole.
- Extra Hooks - Stock up your tackle box with a variety of hooks. No matter what type you carry, make sure you have all types and sizes and check your local fishing store for what the local fish like.
- Sinkers - A hook and worm alone are too light to sink very deeply. You’ll need to attach a sinker to help the hook sink down in the water to be at the perfect eye level for that Golden Perch. Take a few spares along; just remember if you lose your line you lose your hook, line and sinker.
- Worms – you obviously won’t catch a fish without bait. Make sure you have enough in reserve to last you through the day out on the water.
- Floaters – or bobbers as they’re sometimes called. These are great to help you know when a fish is biting. When the floater sinks you will know you’re ready to reel in the catch of the day.
- Pocket Knife – you can’t go fishing without a pocket knife.
- A couple of lures- The old hook and worm should be enough for most of your fishing needs. But sometimes you’ll want to bust out some of the more complex lures in order to up your game. There are literally hundreds of types of fishing lures to choose from.
- Small first aid kit – Hopefully you won’t have any major medical emergencies, but it’s good to be prepared just in case.
- Sun Country on the Murray Fishing guide – The Sun Country on the Murray fishing brochure provides an overview of the region's popular fishing locations and stores and much more. Download you copy here.
- Sunscreen – if you’re out fishing you are likely to be out in the sun all day. Keep it in the tackle box to remind you to keep reapplying.
20 June 2017
Keep Healthy this Winter with some hot tips from the Sun Country on the Murray producers.
Winter is certainly here. There is nothing worse than planning a holiday and then coming down sick right before you head off. We want to make sure you keep in good health on your next trip to Sun Country on the Murray.
Check out these ideas for super healthy products:
For more information check the operator listings on the Farm Gate Trail page and identify farm gate stores you'd like to visit on your next trip.