Recreational Fishing Licences & Fishing Fee Receipts

Do I Need a Recreational Fishing Licence or a Fishing Fee Receipt?

Yes, Recreational Fishing Licences and/or Fishing Fee Receipts are required. Exemptions do exist.

Fishing in Victorian Waters:

When fishing in Victorian marine, estuarine and freshwaters a Victorian Recreational Fishing Licence covers all forms of recreational fishing.

Victorian recreational fishing licences are available:

  • Online (www.vic.gov.au/fisheries);
  • From many Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport & Resources offices; and
  • From hundreds of retail businesses that are fishing licence agencies.


Fishing in NSW Waters such as the Murray River:

When fishing in NSW waters, both freshwater and saltwater, you are required by law to pay the NSW Recreational Fishing Fee and carry a receipt showing the payment of the fee.

The Murray River is NSW waters. Unless you are exempt, a NSW Fishing Fee Receipt is required when fishing in the Murray River, even when you are standing on the Victorian river bank.

A New South Wales Fishing Fee Receipt is available:

  • Online (www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au)
  • By calling 1300 369 365 (Visa and Mastercard only),
  • From hundreds of standard and gold fishing fee agents, and
  • From most Kmart stores in NSW.