Do I Need a Recreational Fishing Licence or a Fishing Fee Receipt?
Yes, Recreational Fishing Licences and/or Fishing Fee Receipts are required. Exemptions do exist.
Fishing in Victorian Waters:
When fishing in Victorian marine, estuarine and freshwaters a Victorian Recreational Fishing Licence covers all forms of recreational fishing.
Victorian recreational fishing licences are available:
- Online (www.vic.gov.au/fisheries);
- From many Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport & Resources offices; and
- From hundreds of retail businesses that are fishing licence agencies.
Fishing in NSW Waters such as the Murray River:
When fishing in NSW waters, both freshwater and saltwater, you are required by law to pay the NSW Recreational Fishing Fee and carry a receipt showing the payment of the fee.
The Murray River is NSW waters. Unless you are exempt, a NSW Fishing Fee Receipt is required when fishing in the Murray River, even when you are standing on the Victorian river bank.
A New South Wales Fishing Fee Receipt is available:
- Online (www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au)
- By calling 1300 369 365 (Visa and Mastercard only),
- From hundreds of standard and gold fishing fee agents, and
- From most Kmart stores in NSW.